Board Certified Cataract, LASIK, & Glaucoma Surgeon
Dr. Newsom is the founder and leader of our ophthalmology practice. He specializes in Cataract, Glaucoma and LASIK surgery. Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology, Dr. Newsom brings a wealth of experience, awards, and research to the practice.
- Residency in Ophthalmology, University of Iowa, one of the top three training programs for eye surgery
- Medical and Surgical Internship, Mayo Clinic
- Doctor of Medicine with Honors, University of Florida
- Bachelor of Science with Honors, University of Florida
- Inventor of the Newsom Bladeless Laser Cataract Surgery Technique adapting the IntraLase Femtosecond Laser for use in cataract surgery.
- First surgeon in the world to implant Aphakic Artisan™ intraocular lens in a patient with megalocornea
- First surgeon in the United States to implant FDA approved bilateral Aphakic Artisan™ intraocular lenses
- University of Iowa Lifetime Visiting Professor, where Dr. Newsom trains the next generation of cataract and LASIK surgeons
- One of only two surgeons nationally recognized for “Surgical Excellence” in cataract and implant surgery, awarded by the American College of Eye Surgeons
- One of the first five surgeons in the United States to surgically implant both the Visian™ and Verisyse™ phakic intraocular lenses
- First practice in Highlands County to perform LASIK refractive eye surgery
- Named “Best Eye Surgeon” in the 2012 readers’ poll taken by the Tampa Tribune
Research and Development
- FDA Clinical Study for Light Adjustable Intraocular Lens.
- Serves on Editorial Board for American Academy of Ophthalmology’s ONE Network.
- Serves on the Medical Advisory Board of MACS, an organization devoted to identifying and promoting the Most Accurate Cataract Surgery options.
- FDA Clinical Study for Lenstec Softec HD™. Dr. Newsom’s personal research was instrumental in Lenstec becoming available for all surgeons in the United States.
- FDA Clinical Study for OASIS Medical study of VISCO SHIELD.
- One of the youngest surgeons in the United States to develop three Ambulatory Surgical Centers capable of performing FDA research in eye surgery
- Received the Albert G. King award for Outstanding Research
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American College of Eye Surgeons
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- American Medical Association